2/21/2009

The Abbie Ration in me; Or why someone craps in a Library

I should be shot. Really.
I'm what you would call an aberration.

Let me explain before I'm dragged out behind the stacks.

My library is small and comfy, like a old trainer that is passed in it's coolness factor but
still nice to wear and makes you go: Aaaaaaah, when you put it on. (Aaah in a sense of comfort and good pg fun.)

Being small, we're not as busy as our big sister libraries, and keeping everything tidy and neat and everyone in line is easy.
But sometimes all HELL breaks loose and we've got people queuing up around the romance shelves, kids screaming, speaking in tongues about the national budget, and the public access terminals have started speaking spanish (Haba Espanol?) and then too add that extra special dollop of "Gosh darn, this day couldn't get any worse"
someone shits themself.

Lets pause for a moment and picture this scene mentally, not olfactory because then you'd trip your gag reflex.

The truth is, and don't go spreading this around because I'm pretty sure I'm spouting heresy here:
I like the chaos.
The Mad rush.
The voices all calling out for you looking expectantly to save their little universes.
The thrill of knowing that I can solve their problems, only preceded by NOT knowing their problem 10 or 20 seconds BEFORE I then solve it.
It's all a mad jumble of chaos and concentration brought in line by force of Will.


Now I know some librarians, quite a bit of them, that loathe this sort of free-for-all activity as much as people loathe other people who start forest fires that destroy half a country, (much respect to my fellow librarian, Caro on Twitter, big scary Fire on 3 sides and she's keeping it together.)
Really venomous, vehement v...-hatred of chaos and all it represents.

And I get it. I really do, we have to have order and structure in order to do our job effectively.
But I submit, that you need the chaos in order to really measure just how far you're capable of going the distance.
And from the day I had, I'm halfway to Okinawa by now.
So the chaos is necessary, in away. (To fellow librarians: Please don't beat me.....)

Sadly, I do believe it's the only way we librarians can experience a bit of thrill in our jobs anyway.

Life flashes before librarians eye:
Stamp, Stamp, Stamp, poops themselves, Skip Lunch, Stamp, Tea, Stamp, Home.


Reason why someone defecates themself in the library.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Graphic image approaching
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
The View from the Library door.

3 comments:

akc said...

Explain it to the dumb American:
That's a liquor store, right?
So you're saying the person who crapped himself was drunk, right?

Maybe it's the tree pollen getting to me that's making me so dense today. Sorry.

Thanks for posting. Is it horrible to say I'm a little disappointed there isn't a photo of a poo-stained chair or floor? LOL!

The Librarian on the Floor said...

Yes. The library is across the road from a liquor store.
Our zoning laws are not what you would call stringent. They're kind of more noodle like in consistency.

I refrain from poo stains to save us all from the horrors of upchuck.
But perhaps next time.

akc said...

Well then I will wait impatiently until I get poo stains. Harrumph.